Tax Information - 2017 Calendar Year

California State University, Fullerton's International Students & Scholars Office and the Department of Financial Services do not assist in tax return preparation, act as a tax advisor/consultant, provide personal tax or legal advice, and cannot answer tax questions for individuals or entities. This information is provided as general guidelines. Please consult a tax professional, the IRS, or a financial planner who is proficient with international tax matters. (Note that a fee may be charged by anyone hired to prepare and file your tax return forms.)

A. Year-end Tax Statements:

At the end of each U.S. tax calendar year (January 1st to December 31st), employers/organizations provide summary statements of how much money each employee earned or was given to them (i.e. scholarship, grant, fellowship), and how much taxes were withheld during the tax year. Below are some of the common tax statements received by international students and scholars.

  • IRS Form W-2
    If you worked in the U.S. during 2017, you will receive a W-2 Form from each of your employer(s). This form states your income earned and tax withholdings, if any, for that specific employer for the previous calendar year. The wage and tax payment information is used to complete your tax return. If you did not work during 2017 you will not receive, and do not need, any W-2 Forms.
  • IRS Form 1042-S
    If you received or earned taxable scholarship/fellowship funds, employment compensation exempt by tax treaty, and non-employee payments (e.g., independent contractor) during 2017, you may receive a Form 1042-S from CSU Fullerton. Some individuals may receive both a Form 1042-S and Form W-2. If you did not have any of the above income types, you will not receive and do not need a Form 1042-S.
  • IRS Form 1098-T (Tuition Statement)
    Only Resident Aliens (RAs) for tax purposes, U.S. permanent residents, and U.S. citizens are eligible to use this form to claim education related tax credits. The Form 1098-T is not provided to Nonresident Alien (NRA) students. Under Federal tax laws, NRA students are not eligible for U.S. citizen educational tax credits or exemptions. Click here for additional information on IRS Form 1098-T Opens in new window
  • IRS Form 1099 (Dividend/Interest Income)
    You should receive a Form 1099-INT/DIV or similar tax form from your bank or investment company for each account if you earned any dividend or interest income in 2017. If you did not have any dividend or interest income, you will not receive, and do not need, a Form 1099-INT from your bank.

B. U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Federal Tax Return Forms: Opens in new window

For additional information about other Federal Tax Forms, please visit the IRS website ( Opens in new window ).

C. California Tax Forms: Opens in new window

  • Form 540 NR Tax Booklet PDF File Opens in new window (includes the following forms, schedules, and instructions)
    • Form 540NR(Short), Form 540NR(Long), Schedule CA(540NR), 540-ES, Schedule D(540NR), Form 3885A, Form 3519

D. IRS Publications: Opens in new window

Frequently Asked Questions

Tax Tips, Checklists, Documents, and Sample Forms