Accounts Payable Check Request Process
Expenditures eligible to be directly charged to a department's account without the establishment of a purchase order, service order, or contract (i.e., direct expense) can be submitted on an Accounts Payable Check Request Form. The expenditure must be listed on the approved AP Check Request category list. The check requests must be approved by an authorized approver and submitted with an invoice and supporting document(s) to Accounts Payable CP-300. A Vendor Data Record form must be submitted online through Adobe EchoSign. To obtain signature authority, the Requester and or Approver must complete the IT Access Request form. The Sample Finance Access Request Form and Instructions can be located at the Information Security Office . Questions concerning the IT Security form, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org. Check Requests will not be processed without submission of all required documents and approval signatures.
SECTION 1 - Payee Information
Include vendor number (if known), vendor name, and remit to address. Payments to new vendors may be delayed until a completed Payee Data Record Form (State of California Form 204) is obtained from the vendor.
Payment will only be issued for the following approved category list as a direct payment (No purchase order required).
All check request submitted that is not on the approved category list will be returned to the department. For questions on direct payment, please contact: email@example.com
Category - Qualifying items include:
- ACCREDITATION FEES AND EXPENSES (lodging, meals, transportation, expenses required by accreditation)
- ADVERTISEMENTS (Copy of ad/tear sheet required. Payments over $5000 require a PO)
- ARBITRATION / SETTLEMENTS
- BOOKS AND PUBLICATIONS (payment for books, magazines, publications, recorded audio and visual tapes, CD's and diskettes)
- CAL STATE TEACH SITE MENTORS/MASTER TEACHERS/ASSESSORS/FACILITATORS (Payments over $1000 require a PO)
- CERTIFICATION FEES
- CHANCELLOR'S OFFICE
- COPYRIGHT FEES
- CSU AUXILIARIES (CSU ASC, Philanthropic Foundation, ASI etc, services and commodities require a purchase order)
- CSET EXAM FEES (refunds)
- DIVISION OF THE STATE ARCHITECT (requires C&P approval)
- FINGER PRINTING CHARGE
- FREIGHT / DELIVERY CHARGE (not included on Purchase Order)
- FEDERAL WORK STUDY REIMBURSEMENTS (Student Financial Services - Think Together, Friendly Center, Boys & Girls Club )
- FINANCIAL SERVICES DEPT (Pre-authorized Approval Required)
- GOVERNMENT PAYMENTS
- HONORARIUM (Non-employee and non-consulting - Guest Lecturer / Guest Speaker. Guest Travel requires D11 and University Guest Travel must comply with CSU Travel Policy. Payments over $5000 is considered a contractual services and not an honorarium, submit a Purchase Requisition to Contracts and Procurement.)
- LIBRARY OR SCHOOL DISTRICT FACILITY RENTAL - not to exceed $100
- MARINE BIOLOGY FACILITY RENTAL
- MEMBERSHIPS AND DUES (Memberships require Justification Form )
- ONLINE PROGRAM / EXTERNALTESTING CENTER STUDENT REIMBURSEMENT
- OVERTIME MEAL ALLOWANCES
- PARKING (commuter reimbursements & rewards, refunds, permits, violations)
- PARKING & TRANSPORTATION CAB FARE/RIDESHARE PROGRAM
- PERKINS LOAN (credit balance/overpayment on loans)
- PERMITS and LICENSE FEES / FEES FOR FILING REPORTING (e.g., South Coast Air Quality Management District, excludes software license agreement)
- PETTY CASH FOR CAMPUS DEPT
- POSTAGE FEES (for Mail Center use only)
- PRE-DOCTORAL FOR INTERNSHIPS
- RETURNING FUNDS TO DONOR
- RISK MANAGEMENT INSURANCE, PREMIUMS, FEES
- SFS (Perkins loan credit balance/overpayments, collection agency fees, credit card processing fees)
- SPECIALIZED TRAINING/STAFF DEVELOPMENT REIMBURSEMENT
- STATE CONTROLLER'S OFFICE
- STUDENT REFUNDS (e.g., EWP exams, housing, student orientation)
- STUDENT STUDY ABROAD PARTICIPATION FEES
- SUBSCRIPTIONS (Magazines, Books, Periodicals, Publications only. Excludes IT related subscriptions/renewals require a Purchase Order)
- UNIFORM ALLOWANCES
- WASH MULTIFAMILY LAUNDRY SYSTEMS (Web Laundry)
SECTION 2 - Invoice Information
- Original invoice is required
- Bill to address must be a CSUF address
- Reference the contact name or department responsible for placing the order
- Include invoice number, invoice date, and invoice amount
- Description / Comments – include the business related purpose
- Check handling instructions / Check pick up – include any special instructions (e.g., name of employee, extension and required date)
Travel Prepayments – DO NOT USE THE ACCOUNTS PAYABLE CHECK REQUEST FORM.
Travel prepayments must be submitted on an approved Travel Authorization Form (includes workshops, registration, seminars, conferences, business meetings, and training).
SECTION 3 - Approvals
- Print or type the requester’s name, signature of the requester, extension, and date.
- Print or type the approver’s name, signature of the approver, extension, and date. The approver must be the responsible person authorized to approve on the Department ID (5 digit) and FUND (5 digit).
Unapproved, non-qualifying, or incomplete Accounts Payable Check Request Forms will be returned unprocessed to the originating department explaining why the expenditure was denied. For questions, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.