Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions List

What is the status of my payment?

For payment inquiry, please refer to your department expenditure reports.

How do I disencumber funds?

To finalize a purchase order, send an email request to Contracts & Procurement at:

Departments may also indicate to Accounts Payable by clearly noting "Final Invoice" on the last invoice to be paid. Please ensure that there are no other invoices pending that have not been matched to the purchase order.

For questions regarding payments or invoices, email:

For additional information about “final closing” a purchase order, email:

What is a Vendor Data Record (STD 204)?

A Vendor Data Record Information – All vendors doing business with the University are required to complete a Vendor Data Record Opens in new window  (Form 204) with Accounts Payable. This form documents such information as the federal identification number or SSN number, as well as the type of business for tax reporting purposes. Failure to submit a completed "Vendor Data Record" form will result in delays in payment and/or federal and state backup withholding may be deducted from the payment.

Payments to new vendors may be delayed until a completed Vendor Data Record Form (Form 204) is obtained from the vendor.

Who pays for expenditures related to the Auxiliary Services?

The CSUF Auxiliary Services Corp Accounts Payable Department handles payments for Auxiliary Services. Department contact information may be found at: Opens in new window

When can I use Petty Cash?

Petty cash may be used when there is a need to have cash on hand to provide for miscellaneous purchases of low value goods less than $50. Petty cash may not be used for payroll payments, services of an independent contractor, inventorial equipment, restricted goods and services, entertainment expense, liquor, travel expense, and other personal obligations. Employees are required to complete a Petty Cash Disbursement Form PDF File Opens in new window . Attach original receipts, obtain department approval, including Accounts Payable, and submit to the Cashier’s Office (UH-180) for reimbursement.

It is recommended that the CSUF Procurement Card is used for low value approved purchases.

What is 1099 reportable?

Services are 1099 reportable to an Individual, Sole Proprietor and Partnership. Corporations are not 1099 reportable except for Medical Corporations (services only) and Legal Corporations. A Form 1099 is issued when the total of all payments for services is $600 and above during the calendar year.

What if I need to return defective/damaged merchandise or product that is shipped in error?

Requestor must contact the vendor to obtain a Return Merchandise Authorization Number (RMA Number) and make arrangements for pick-up. If the merchandise was ordered from a Purchase Order, the requestor must also contact Shipping & Receiving to request that the return is properly recorded in CMS.

What if I do not agree with the invoice price?

Compare the prices listed on the invoice and purchase order. If there is a discrepancy, contact the appropriate Buyer in Contracts & Procurement.

Who is authorized to approve my invoice?

Service related invoices (Purchase Order required) - A requestor, approver, or a full time employee delegated to sign for the department must approve the invoice to acknowledge the receipt of satisfactory completion of service.

Accounts Payable Check Request (Direct Pay) – The responsible person authorized to sign for the department may approve the Accounts Payable Check Request. For information on qualifying items refer to: Accounts Payable Check Request Process

How do I request travel expense reimbursement if I am an employee?

Employee Travel - An approved Travel Request Form must be submitted prior to requesting reimbursement for travel-related expenses. To request reimbursement, complete and submit an approved Travel Expense Claim to Travel Operations (CP-300). Additional information may be found on:

How do I sign up for Direct Deposit?

Individuals wishing to enroll in the program must complete an Accounts Payable/Travel Staff and Faculty Direct Deposit Authorization form and submit with a void check to Debbie Hagman CP-300. PDF File Opens in new window  

What happens if I close my bank account or make changes?

Complete the Direct Deposit form electing cancel Direct Deposit or to change Direct Deposit information and submit to Accounts Payable, Debbie Hagman.

What are some reasons for enrolling in Direct Deposit?

Direct Deposit of your payroll net offers several benefits to participants, including:

  • Fewer trips to your financial institution.
  • Avoidance of long lines at your financial institution.
  • Convenient and consistent deposit in spite of business absences, vacations or illness.
  • Security in the knowledge that checks cannot be lost, stolen or forged.

Why do some employees on Direct Deposit have their money earlier than others?

Some institutions post funds to accounts at the beginning of the bank business day, this is not a universal practice. Other institutions post funds in the afternoon instead of the morning. Some institutions even post funds prior to receiving the funds from the State as a customer service. It is strongly recommended that you check with your financial institution to determine when your funds will be available. If you are not satisfied with their processing schedule, you may wish to consider using another financial institution.